Klatovy, 13 km away from Klenová, was found around 1260 by the Czech prince Přemysl Otakar II. The jesuit Baroque Church of The Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary and St. Ignac built between 1656 and 1679 belongs among the most important sights in the town. Its builders were Carlo Lurago and Domenico Orsi, both Italian artists who settled in Bohemia. The main altar - ilusive painting by Josef Hiebl from 1716 - 17 is of interest. The facade is decorated with a rich portal, perhaps according to a design by K. I. Dietzenhofer, one of the greatest individuals of Czech Baroque architecture.
Under the Black Tower, at the place where 12 houses burned down, ajesuit college and seminary were built between 1675 - 1717. The historian and poet Bohuslav Balbín used to dwell here and it was here that he wrote his famous tract "A Defence of Slavic Languages, above all the Czech Language". After canceling the jesuit order in 1773, the college was transformed into a barracks and brewery. Nowadays the building serves commercial purposes, and part of it serves as a municipal library.
Bellow the church one can visit vast catacombs. Between 1674-1783 members of the order and aristocracy with a liking for the jesuits were buried there. The jesuits introduced a mummification process here which is unique in the Czech Republic. They let the buried bodies be fanned with circulating air so that the bodies mummified in a natural way. The air circulated through the crypt through an ingenious system of channels, conducting air through hollow columns inside the nave and above the vault of the church. 200 deceased were burried here in total. Due to negligence while restoring the church in the 1930s, 160 mummies decayed. Today around 40 bodies are placed here in coffins with glass lids.
The five-storied Black Tower is 71 metres tall. It was built between 1547 - 1555 by master craftsman Antoň to signal about approaching danger. From its gallery, one can see a beautiful view over the town and a panorama of the Šumava mountains.
The Archdeacon Church of The Birth of the Virgin Mary is the oldest church in the town. From the middle of the 13th century it has undergone many architectural adaptations, its contemporary appearance originates from the 14th century. At the beginning of the 20th century it was partly redesigned by the well-known architect Josef Fanta (f.e. he designed the Main Rail Station in Prague) and decorated with sculptures by Čeněk Vosmík. The interior of the church is equiped with Baroque altarpieces, sculptures and frescoes. After 1685 a miraculous painting of the Virgin Mary from Klatovy was placed on the altarpiece. The painting shed blood and healed as a sign of the miracle.
The name of the Baroque pharmacy U Bílého jednorožce (At White Unicorn) originates from a white horn of a sea narwhale, which used to hang above the entrance and which was believed to originate from the mythical unicorn whose horn was supposed to have healing powers. The equipment of the pharmacy dates back to 1773. The pharmacy, with its Baroque furnishings, was in operation till 1966, since then a museum with exhibits of old pharmaceutical instruments and a few medical methods is there. In the same building is the Galerie Klatovy / Klenová.
The dominican church of St Lawrence
The cemetery church of St. Michael
The Church of St. Anna in Hůrka The chapel of the Apparation of the Virgin Mary